Help and Frequently Asked Questions
At the end of each month, after all of your invoicing is complete, follow these steps:
- Open QuickBooks® Web Connector which will establish a connection between DeReToo and QuickBooks®.
- In DeReToo, click the Get Invoices link. This will submit an inquiry to QuickBooks® Web Connector. Observe the progress and status in the DeReToo log screen.
- Click the With Exception link in DereToo to correct any invoices with missing start/stop dates or other exceptions. (The next time you sync, these edits will be posted back to your invoice in QuickBooks®.)
- Click the List Invoices link. You will see all invoices DeReToo will process, listed with the customer name, amount, start & stop dates, invoice number. You can click to review the revenue schedule to see the dates and amount that will be posted for each month.
- Click the To be Posted link to review updates to the general ledger. Click Post to submit to QuickBooks®. Observe the progress and status in the DeReToo log screen.
- Review your QuickBooks® reports to see the effect of the posted transaction.
DeReToo works with any QuickBooks® Desktop version (2009 or greater) running on MS Windows. There is not currently a connector for Mac or online versions.
If you are using the desktop version of QuickBooks®, invoices can have custom fields. You may use custom fields or the “other 1″ and “other 2″ on your invoice to show the start and end dates. DeReToo can use these dates to calculate the revenue and the dates will be included on your customer invoice.
<image of invoice>
Example of an invoice with start and end dates.
If you use “other 1″ and “other 2″ for the start and end date, you can choose to display them on your invoice. To modify your invoice:
1) open the invoice in QuickBooks choosing the template you want to use (your normal invoice)
2) Choose “Customize” from the menu at the top of the invoice
3) Choose the “columns” tab and select the check boxes for other 1 and other 2, enter Start Date and End Date in the Title
You can also create additional custom fields if you prefer
Here are steps to use and identify custom fields for invoice items (from the QuickBooks help):
“You can add up to five custom fields for items. The fields will be available for all itemtypes except subtotals, sales tax items, and sales tax groups. After you’ve added the custom fields, you can add them to customized forms.
- Click the Lists menu and then click Item List.
- Double-click any item in the list (it doesn’t matter which one).
- In the Edit Item window, click the Custom Fields button. If you receive a prompt about no custom fields, click OK.
- Click the Define Fields button.
- In the Define Custom Fields for Items window, Enter the name of the custom field in the Label column and click the Use checkbox next to the Label name.
- Repeat for each custom item field to add (you can have up to five custom fields).
- Click OK to close the Define Custom Fields for Items window.
- Click OK to close the Custom Fields window.
Yes, the DeReToo SaaS (Software as a Service) is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This allows you to review your information and reports at any time.
DeReToo uses the QuickBooks® web connector utility that only interacts with QuickBooks® when you retreive or post information, usually once a month.
DeReToo lets you set a recognition schedule (Invoice start/end date calculation method) on a per-item basis. Options include:
- Invoice date + N months
Example would be an annual maintenance agreement that starts on the invoice date and ends 12 months later.
- Custom start and end date fields
Using custom fields in QuickBooks®, starting and ending dates can be entered when the invoice is created.
Revenue is recognized on a monthly basis, spread evenly over the period you select. The last period may have a slightly different amount to correct for rounding.
Here is a list of issues that you may see and the solutions to them. If you see an issue not listed, please contact email@example.com.
|Enter a password||Enter your DeReToo password in the QBWC password column.|
|Invalid password for username <your DeReToo account>||Enter your DeReToo password in the QBWC password column.|
|Error:Company file path mismatch, probably talking to wrong account||If you think this is correct company file, click update in DeReToo company details.|
If you are testing with a QB sample company, no invoices will be synced to DeReToo (by design) due to the future dates set in the sample company. Please send us a message, and we will send you a demo company backup to use for testing DeReToo.
A subscription is just $70/month. There is no setup, software, installation, or hardware to purchase.
All you need during sign up is your contact information, an email address, and password.
Yes, our servers are backed up nightly. DeReTohas a 99.9% up time guarantee in our SLA (service level agreement).
Yes, data security is a prime concern with our service. All data transmission is encrypted through SSL, just like your banking service.
- In Deretoo home page, click ‘Get Invoices’ to submit an inquiry to QuickBooks® Web Connector.
- OpenQuickBooks® Web Connector. Make sure the check box next to Deretoo is checked, and click Update Selected.
- Finally, return to Deretoo to verify there is a ‘success’ message in the QB session log.
Setting up the web connector
- You will need to download and install QuickBooks® Web connector. From the Deretoo home page, save the QWC file to your desktop (Download QWC). Note: If you are using a hosted or virtual server, then you should save the QWC file to the computer that QB is installed.
- Open QuickBooks®, and make sure you open the company that you would like to connect to Deretoo.
- Open Web connector by double clicking the QWC file, or from QuickBooks® menu click File/Update web services.
- In QuickBooks Web Connector, select the Add an Application button in the lower right corner of the screen, and at the prompt select the saved QWC file from your Desktop and click OK.
- QuickBooks® will open the web connector and a new window with a security certificate, asking for your permission to connect with Deretoo will appear.
- Check the box ‘yes, allow access even if QB is not running’ and click continue to allow the connection. Click OK to continue.
Note: If you do not see a column of check boxes it means that QuickBooks® already figured out the right settings to use.
- In the application column of web connector you should see the Deretoo entry. In the password column, type in your password to Deretoo (not your QuickBooks® password). Make sure the check box next to Deretoo is checked, and click Update Selected.
- Return to Deretoo to verify there is a ‘success’ message in the QB session log.